Norcross Art Fest 2013 Volunteer Opportunities
Come Join Us For The Fun & Excitement
If you already know what position for which you wish to volunteer, please CLICK HERE to go directly to the volunteer site. For descriptions of the various duties, you’ll find them below, along with frequently asked questions by our volunteers.
We hope to see you on October 5 & 6, 2013 for another magical Art Fest!
Artist Check-In (4:30AM – 9:00AM Saturday)
Those who work at the Artist Check-In area are the first volunteers to greet the Artists and Sponsors as they arrive to setup for Art Fest.
- Greeting artists and sponsors and ensuring they feel welcome
- Provide them with their info packet and forward them to staging area
Artist Staging (4:30AM to 9:00AM Saturday)
The Artist Staging area is on Thrasher Street and is where the Artists and Sponsor wait to be directed across the railroad tracks to their individual booths on the streets lining downtown.
- Directing and expediting artists to their assigned zones for unloading and setup
- Must be able to use a walkie-talkie and handle multi-tasking
Artist Setup/Unload (4:30AM to 9:00AM Saturday)
The Artist Setup/Unload duty involves helping artists and sponsors unload their vehicles. Individuals must be able to work carefully but also efficiently.
- Setting up Artist/Sponsor tents
Artist Breakdown/Loading (5:00PM – 7:00PM Sunday)
The Artist Breakdown Loading duty involves helping artists and sponsors load up their vehicles during the Art Fest Breakdown in a quick and orderly manner. Individuals must be able to work carefully but also efficiently.
- Dismantling Artist/Sponsor tents
Chairs for Charity
The Chairs for Charity is a silent auction in which attendees bid on unique, one-of –a-kind chairs that have been painted by students in the Norcross area. All proceeds from the silent auction go back to the individual schools who participate. This area is sponsored by the Norcross Arts Alliance.
- Managing the silent auction
- Encouraging attendees to bid on chairs
- Explaining to attendees what the Chairs for Charity event is about
Many streets in downtown Norcross are closed during ArtFest and it is the job of those in Traffic Control positions to ensure that traffic is kept out of closed streets for safety purposes. Traffic control requires a positive yet firm demeanor.
- Directing traffic around the closed streets
- Understanding the detours
- Ensuring smooth and safe flow of traffic through the intersection to which you are assigned
- All Traffic Control volunteers must wear an orange vest that is provided at the Headquarters tent upon checking in for volunteer duty
- Prevent cars from parking in no parking zones
- Preventing cars from entering closed streets
The headquarters booth is the “hub” of the Art Fest operations and also where all volunteers are supposed to check in for duty. This is a very busy duty and requires diplomacy, organization skills, flexibility, and an ability to think on your feet as many attendees and artists come to the Headquarters tent for information.
- Checking in volunteers
- Accepting Lost and Found items
- Distributing information via walkie-talkie to other festival staff as necessary
- Must be able to use walkie-talkie
- Provide access to the First Aid kit, if necessary
- Ensure there is ample water in the cooler
Norcross Art Fest provides musical entertainment in Thrasher Park throughout the two-day event. We need a few volunteers to help with the setup and breakdown of PA equipment. Volunteers must have truck to transport PA system.
- Transporting PA system to and from park
- Lifting and Carrying equipment
- Assist with PA setup and breakdown
- Must provide truck to transport PA system
Norcross Art Fest prides itself as a responsible steward of our earth and to that end we strive to recycle as much as possible during Art Fest and this takes a dedicated group of volunteers to manage students and Scouts in the recycling effort.
- Managing and directing students and Scouts in
- The placement and setup of recycling containers
- Collecting recycled waste
- Securing needed supplies
- Coordinating on-demand needs with Headquarters
The placement of directional signs in the downtown area the day before Art Fest is a critical component of our success. We need some people who can help out on October 5th.
- Placement of directional signs for parking, no-parking, artist check-in, etc.
- Blowing up balloons to place on Artist Check-In signs for better visibility
- Securing Art Fest signs within the festival itself (Lost and Found, First Aid Station, etc.)
- Removal of signs Sunday at 5:00PM after Art Fest ends
Norcross has a fine reputation as a very friendly town and we need some friendly and helpful folks to help us maintain this distinction and give our visitors a great first impression of Norcross.
- Welcoming visitors as they exit the shuttle buses in downtown
- Handing out informational pamphlets to guests
- Directing guests to Festival activities and venues
- Must be prepared to answer questions about Art Fest (location of ATM, bathrooms, events, etc.)
T-Shirt Sales/Information Booth
T-shirt sales are another way that we raise money for charities so this is an important and fun duty. It really helps if you like to sell! We need friendly and outgoing people in this duty.
- Assisting those who ask for information
- Selling t-shirts
- Responsible for securing money that is collected for t-shirt sales